Skip to main content


A to E

  • Award

    Funding provided to students who have met specific criteria. Awards can be a combination of scholarships and bursaries and do not have to be repaid. Learn more about awards. 

  • Awards of recognition entrance scholarships

    Scholarships that recognize academic accomplishments for students entering university within 18 months of graduating from a Canadian secondary school. Learn more about awards of recognition.

  • ´╗┐Bursary

    A non-repayable award available for students requiring additional financial assistance for educational costs. Learn more about bursaries.

  • Common-law relationship

    If you and your partner: 

    • Have cohabited continuously for a period of at least three years, or;
    • Live together and are the natural or adoptive parents of a child.
  • Compulsory fees

    Fees charged on a per-credit hour basis for education-related costs such as:

    • Athletic fees
    • Co-op fees
    • Field placement
    • Health services
    • Laboratory fees
    • Professional fees
    • Student activity fees
    • Student union fees
    • Technology fees (excluding computer purchase or lease fees)
  • Confirmation of enrolment

    The Student Awards and Financial Aid (SAFA) office is responsible for electronically confirming a student’s full- or part-time enrolment in order for the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) to release funding.

    We also confirm enrolment for the National Student Loan Service Centre (NSLSC) for those students who have previously received OSAP and who are not applying for the current school year. Students must log into their OSAP Account through the OSAP website and select Start a New Application under Interest-Free Status.

  • Dependent children (You have a child or you have dependent siblings)

    A dependent child is any one of the following:

    • Under 16 years of age and living with a legal guardian.
    • Sixteen years of age or older, enrolled in high school and taking at least 60 per cent of a full course load, and living with a legal guardian for 50 per cent or more of the study period.
    • Has a permanent disability and is wholly dependent on the applicant.
  • Dependent student

    You are considered a dependent student if you meet the following criteria:

    • You are not married, separated, divorced, widowed or in a common-law relationship.
    • You are not a sole-support parent.
    • You have been out of high school for less than four years before the start of your study period.
    • You haven't taken two or more breaks from being a full-time high school or post-secondary student that were both at least 12 consecutive months on two or more occasions.

    Note: Parental income information is required on your OSAP application.

  • Donor awards

    Generous donors provide funding to the university to be awarded to qualified students. Generally, a donor specifies the criteria that must be met for a student to qualify for the award. Learn more about donor awards.

  • ´╗┐Expected financial contribution

    OSAP expects that you and your family have planned for your full-time post-secondary education and have put aside money to pay for it. The purpose of OSAP is to supplement—not replace—your resources.

    Your expected financial contribution is the amount of money that OSAP determines you should have available to pay for your education and living costs. It determines this amount by assessing your:

    • Income and assets
    • Marital status
    • Number of dependent children (if applicable)
    • Parents' income, assets and number of dependent children (if you are a dependent student)
    • Spouse's or common-law partner's income and assets

F to K

  • Financial aid
    Any combination of awards, bursaries, grants, loans and/or scholarships provided to a student to assist with the costs of their post-secondary education.
  • Financial need
    A demonstration of less financial resources than financial expenses.
  • First generation student
    A student with financial need whose parents have never attended post-secondary studies on either a full- or part-time basis anywhere in the world. You must be enrolled in a first-entry undergraduate program and are not receiving assistance through the Second Career program for your studies.
  • General bursary and donor award application
    The application to be assessed for bursaries and donor awards. The application is located on the MyOntarioTech portal
  • Graduate student
    A student working on their graduate diploma, masters or PhD degree.
  • Graduate single student (either living at home or away from home)
    A single, graduate student.
  • Graduate single student with dependents
    A single, graduate student with dependent children living with them on a permanent basis. Considered the custodial parent or has their children 50 per cent of the time as per a custody agreement.
  • Graduate married student with no dependents
    A married or common-law graduate student with no dependents.
  • Graduate married student with dependents
    A married or common-law graduate student with dependent children under the age of 22 living with them.
  • Grant
    Type of financial aid that you typically do not have to repay.
  • In-course scholarships
    Scholarships recognizing undergraduate students' academic achievements during their studies. Learn more about in-course scholarships.
  • Independent student

    You are considered an independent student if both of the following applies to you:

    • You are not currently married or in a common-law relationship.
    • You do not have any dependent children.

    And if at least one of the following applies to you:

    • You’ve been out of high school for four or more years at the start of your study period.
    • For at least 12 consecutive months on two or more occasions, you were not a full-time student at a high school or post-secondary school.
    • Both of your parents are deceased.
    • You are a current Crown ward or were a Crown ward prior to age 18.
    • You are currently receiving a Continued Care and Support for Youth program allowance.
  • Indigenous student