Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Student FAQs

New to OSAP this year

  • Why has my Ontario grant funding decreased from previous years?

    Changes to the Ontario Student Grant program have resulted in differences in the grant funding available to students. All students will receive at least 10 per cent of their Ontario funding in the form of loans. The Ontario Student Grant is now based only on financial need, instead of a combination of grants based on financial need and family income.

  • Will I still be given a grace period before I am expected to start paying off my student loans?

    Yes, you’ll still be given a six-month grace period after leaving full-time studies where you’re not required to make payments on your loans. Interest will accrue on the Ontario portion of your loan during your grace period, but your payments won’t begin until after your six months. The Canada Student Loan portion of your loans will be interest-free during this time.

  • My funding wont be enough to cover my expenses this year. What can I do?

    If you’re concerned about how you’re going to cover the cost of your education this year, there are some things you can do:

    • Apply for scholarships and bursaries. Ontario Tech University offers awards for students each year. You can find information about awards, and how to apply for them on the Student Awards and Financial Aid
    • Make an appointment with a Financial Aid Officer to review your application or special circumstances, or to receive budget counselling.  Contact us to book an appointment  
  • What are expected financial contributions?

    OSAP will help fund your education together with resources from you and your family. As of the 2019-2020 academic year, the OSAP assessment uses a $3,600 contribution from you to determine how much funding you’ll receive.

    Your OSAP assessment may also include an expected contribution from your parents or spouse, depending on their income.

    In some situations, the student contribution will be waived. Check the OSAP website for more details.
  • When will interest begin to collect on my Ontario student loans?

    Interest will accrue on the provincial portion of your student loans as soon as you leave full-time studies.

  • What is the definition of an independent student?

    You’re considered an independent student if:

    • You’re not married or in a common-law relationship.
    • You don’t have any dependent children.

     At least one of the following must also apply to you:

    • You’ve worked full-time for at least 24 months in a row.
    • Both your parents are deceased.
    • You’re currently in extended-society care or were in the care of the Crown before age 18.
    • You’re currently receiving a Continued Care and Support for Youth program allowance from your Children’s Aid Society.
    • You’ve been out of high school for six or more years at the start of your study period.
    Please note: If you applied for full-time OSAP funding for the current academic year and you’ve been out of high school for four or more years at the start of that study period, you’ll still be considered an independent student.
  • What is the definition of a dependent student?

    You’re considered a dependent student if:

    • You’re not married or in a common-law relationship.
    • You’re not separated, divorced or widowed.
    • You're not a sole-support parent.
    • You haven't worked full-time for at least 24 months in a row.
    • You’ve been out of high school for less than six years at the start of your study period.
    Please note: If you applied for full-time OSAP funding for the current academic year and you’ve been out of high school for four or more years at the start of that study period, you’ll still be considered an independent student.


  • What is the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)?

    OSAP is a government program that provides financial aid to qualified Ontario students to help pay for education-related costs. OSAP offers two kinds of aid:

    • Grants you do not have to pay back.
    • Loans you must repay.
  • What is a Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA)?

    The MSFAA is a lifetime student loan agreement for full-time students that is completed only once during your post-secondary studies. The agreement contains the terms and conditions you must agree to, in order to receive and repay your OSAP loan.


  • What is the National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC)?

    The NSLSC administers the OSAP student loans funded by the federal and/or Ontario governments. This includes:

    • Administering the Repayment Assistance Plan (RAP)
    • Arranging for your loans and/or grants to be deposited into your bank account
    • Giving you your repayment schedule options
    • Keeping track of your loan debt and repayments
    • Processing your MSFAA
  • Am I eligible to apply for OSAP?

    OSAP is open to any Ontario residents who are one of the following:

    • Canadian citizen
    • Permanent resident
    • Protected person
  • Do I apply for OSAP each year?
    Yes. You must apply for OSAP each new academic year.
  • How and when do I apply for OSAP?
    Apply on the OSAP website as soon as you have been accepted into a program and know you will be attending the university. We recommend applying a minimum of 4 to 6 weeks before your program starts.
  • How and when will I know if I am entitled to OSAP?
    When you submit your online application, you can view an estimate of your entitlement. This is an estimate only. Once your application is complete and all supporting documentation is processed, you can view your actual entitlement by logging in to your OSAP account.
  • How do I know I have an OSAP deferment?
    Log into your MyOntarioTech account and navigate to the Paying Your Fees box to view your account detail by term - OSAP students to see if you have a deferment on your account.
  • How do I receive the balance of my OSAP after my tuition fees have been redirected to the university?
    The National Student Loan Service Centre (NSLSC) will arrange automatic deposit of funds to your bank account.  You can contact the NSLSC at 1.888.815.4514.
  • How long does it take to process an OSAP application?

    The application process takes 4 to 6 weeks. You must:

    • Submit your Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement to the National Student Loans Service Centre through your OSAP application.
    • The Student Awards and Financial Aid (SAFA) office must process your signature pages and all supporting documents.
    • Your application must go through a Social Insurance Number check.

    Application times vary, so apply early!

  • How will I get my OSAP money?

    Your OSAP funding will automatically be directed to the school to pay your term fees. If your term funding exceeds the fees owing, the remaining funds will be directed to your bank account.

  • If I am denied assistance this time, will I always be denied?
    No. OSAP applications are based on the information provided each year. Changes in your information (e.g. level of family income or your earnings) may result in a change in the assessment of financial need. Therefore, we recommend that you re-apply for OSAP each academic year.
  • What if my OSAP is not enough to cover all of my educational costs?

    If your OSAP funding will not cover all of your educational costs, you will need to investigate other resources. Options include:

    • Family contributions
    • Internal and external scholarships and awards
    • Personal savings
    • Student line of credit from a bank
    • University Works on-campus employment program
    • Working part-time outside the university

    You can also book an appointment with a Financial Aid Officer to discuss your options by calling 905.721.3190 or emailing

  • What if my situation changes?
    Changes to your program or course load may affect your OSAP entitlement. Be sure to speak with a Financial Aid Officer if you are considering course changes or if there are any changes to your income before or during your study period.

Student awards