Skip to main content

Student FAQs

New to OSAP this year

  • Why has my Ontario grant funding decreased from previous years?

    Changes to the Ontario Student Grant program have resulted in differences in the grant funding available to students. All students will receive at least 10 per cent of their Ontario funding in the form of loans. The Ontario Student Grant is now based only on financial need, instead of a combination of grants based on financial need and family income.

  • Will I still be given a grace period before I am expected to start paying off my student loans?

    Yes, you’ll still be given a six-month grace period after leaving full-time studies where you’re not required to make payments on your loans. Interest will accrue on the Ontario portion of your loan during your grace period, but your payments won’t begin until after your six months. The Canada Student Loan portion of your loans will be interest-free during this time.

  • My funding won’t be enough to cover my expenses this year. What can I do?

    If you’re concerned about how you’re going to cover the cost of your education this year, there are some things you can do:

    • Apply for scholarships and bursaries. Ontario Tech University offers awards for students each year. You can find information about awards, and how to apply for them on the Financial Aid and Awards tab on MyCampus.
    • Make an appointment with a financial aid officer to review your application or special circumstances, or to receive budget counselling. To book an appointment, call 905.721.3190 or visit the Office of the Registrar in the Software and Informatics Research Centre, on the main floor.
  • What are expected financial contributions?

    OSAP will help fund your education together with resources from you and your family. As of the 2019-2020 academic year, the OSAP assessment uses a $3,600 contribution from you to determine how much funding you’ll receive.

    Your OSAP assessment may also include an expected contribution from your parents or spouse, depending on their income.

    In some situations, the student contribution will be waived. Check the OSAP website for more details.
  • Am I entitled to a $500 computer allowance as part of my OSAP funding?

    The $500 computer allowance is only for students entering their first year.


  • When will interest begin to collect on my Ontario student loans?

    Interest will accrue on the provincial portion of your student loans as soon as you leave full-time studies.

  • What is the definition of an independent student?

    You’re considered an independent student if:

    • You’re not married or in a common-law relationship.
    • You don’t have any dependent children.

     At least one of the following must also apply to you:

    • You’ve worked full-time for at least 24 months in a row.
    • Both your parents are deceased.
    • You’re currently in extended society care or were in the care of the Crown before age 18.
    • You’re currently receiving a Continued Care and Support for Youth program allowance from your Children’s Aid Society.
    • You’ve been out of high school for six or more years at the start of your study period.
      • Please note: If you applied for full-time OSAP funding for the 2018-2019 academic year and you’ve been out of high school for four or more years at the start of that study period, you’ll still be considered an independent student.
  • What is the definition of a dependent student?

    You’re considered a dependent student if:

    • You’re not married or in a common-law relationship.
    • You’re not separated, divorced or widowed.
    • You're not a sole-support parent.
    • You haven't worked full-time for at least 24 months in a row.
    • You’ve been out of high school for less than six years at the start of your study period.
      • Please note: If you applied for full-time OSAP funding for the 2018-2019 academic year and you’ve been out of high school for four or more years at the start of that study period, you’ll still be considered an independent student.


  • Am I eligible to apply for OSAP?

    OSAP is open to any Ontario residents who is one of the following:

    • Canadian citizen
    • Permanent resident
    • Protected person
  • Do I apply for OSAP each year?
    Yes. You must apply for OSAP each new academic year.
  • How and when do I apply for OSAP?
    Apply on the OSAP website as soon as you have been accepted into a program and know you will be attending the university. We recommend applying a minimum of four to six weeks before your program starts.
  • How and when will I know if I am entitled to OSAP?
    When you submit your online application, you can view an estimate of your entitlement. This is an estimate only. Once your application is complete and all supporting documentation is processed, you can view your actual entitlement by logging in to your OSAP account.
  • How do I know I have an OSAP deferment?
    Please login to your MyCampus account and view your Account Detail by Term to view if you have a deferment on your account.
  • How do I receive the balance of my OSAP after my tuition fees have been redirected to the university?
    The NSLSC will arrange either an automatic deposit of funds to your bank account or mail you a cheque for the balance. You can contact the NSLSC at 1.888.815.4514.
  • How long does it take to process an OSAP application?

    The application process takes from four to six weeks. You must:

    • Submit your Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA) to the National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC) in person through a designated Canada Post outlet.
    • The Student Awards and Financial Aid (SAFA) office must process your signature pages and all supporting documents.
    • Your application must go through a Social Insurance Number, Ministry of Transportation and credit check.

    Application times vary, so apply early.

  • How will I get my OSAP money?
    Your funds will be deposited into your bank account or may be directed to the university to pay your fees, if you selected this option when you applied to OSAP.
  • I am an OSAP student, can I pick up my laptop without making a payment?
    Your OSAP funding will automatically be directed to the school to pay your term fees. If your funding exceeds fees owing for the term, a deferment will be placed on your account. Once the deferment is on your account, you may pick up your laptop.
  • If I am denied assistance this time, will I always be denied?
    No. OSAP applications are based on the information provided each year. Changes in your information (e.g. level of family income or your earnings) may result in a change in the assessment of financial need. Therefore, we recommend that you re-apply for OSAP each academic year.
  • What if my OSAP is not enough to cover all of my educational costs?

    If your OSAP funding will not cover all of your educational costs, you will need to investigate other resources. Options include:

    • Family contributions
    • Internal and external scholarships and awards
    • Personal savings
    • Student line of credit from a bank
    • University Works on-campus employment program
    • Working part-time outside the university

    You can also book an appointment with a financial aid officer to discuss your options by calling 905.721.3190 or emailing

  • What if my situation changes?
    Changes to your program or course load may affect your OSAP entitlement. Be sure to speak with a financial aid officer if you are considering course changes or if there are any changes to your income before or during your study period.
  • What is a Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement?
    The Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA) is a lifetime student loan agreement for full-time students that be completed only once during your post-secondary studies. The agreement contains the terms and conditions you must agree to, in order to receive and repay your OSAP loan.
  • What is OSAP?

    The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) is a government program that provides financial aid to qualified Ontario students to help pay for education-related costs. OSAP offers two kinds of aid:

    • Grants you do not have to pay back.
    • Loans you must repay.
  • What is the National Student Loans Service Centre?

    The National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC) administers the OSAP student loans funded by the federal and/or Ontario governments. This includes:

    • Administering the Repayment Assistance Plan (RAP).
    • Arranging for your loans and/or grants to be deposited to your bank account.
    • Giving you your repayment schedule options.
    • Keeping track of your loan debt and repayments.
    • Processing your MSFAA.

Student awards